[A-DX] News from Niue

  • Subject: [A-DX] News from Niue
  • From: "Krumbach" <krumbach@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 29 Jul 1999 15:02:22 +0200

Hallo Liste,

damit es nicht immer nur so ernst zugeht, hier eine wahre Radio- Geschichte
aus der Südsee:

"... A month earlier I was in Niue, a Pacific Island nation with the
population of a very small town. ...
Tiny Niue had a radio station which operated in equally laid back style.
Officially Radio Niue started broadcasting at 6 am but that depended on the
announcer getting out of bed in time - some mornings it would be 6.15 or
even 6.30. In the week before my visit there was a day when it was 7.30
before without any opening music or prior warning, Radio Niue suddenly
squawked into life.
'Yes, yes, I know you think I've really overslept this morning,' were the
opening words. 'But actually I've been talking to you, playing records,
broadcasting the news, for the last hour and a half. It's just that I forgot
to turn on the transmitter.'"

zitiert nach Planet Talk/Lonely Planet Publications, Nr. 39/1999,
Hawthorn/Australien

vy 73 de Dieter DL5NFZ