[A-DX] Fwd: (dxld) Falkland Islands radio scene [1 Attachment]

Roger
Fr Nov 7 18:35:43 CET 2014

__,_._,___

Betreff:     [dxld] Falkland Islands radio scene [1 Attachment]
Datum:     Fri, 7 Nov 2014 15:28:40 +0000
Von:     Walter Salmaniw
An:     >

[Attachment(s) from Walter Salmaniw included below]

Please see my Word document attached about the current very
interesting radio scene. 73, Walt Salmaniw
__._,_.___

https://xa.yimg.com/kq/groups/12397727/1632675212/name/Falkland%20Island%20Radio%20Scene%205%20November2014%20edit%2Edoc

http://tinyurl.com/qya7zuu

".........There are very few local resources available, so when a cruise
ship arrives, the local population is mustered to provide
transportation.  Virtually everyone owns a 4 x 4, which very soon became
apparent why!  We lucked into having the local JP and retired manager of
the FI Company as our driver.  He’s lived on the islands for 51 years,
and his wife is a 5th generation islander.  I questioned him about 530
kHz, and was told that the transmitter is beyond repair and will
unlikely return to the air (contrary to the government website).  They
were most definitely NOT on the air during our stay.
As for SW, Terry mentioned that in the old days most everyone had a SW
receiver to listen to the news from the old country (UK).  I saw very
little evidence of external SW antennae during our stay, unfortunately.
A quick AM bandscan with my trusty little Eton e100 during the day
revealed one weak transmission only.  Of course at dusk, the band became
alive with continental stations.  With all of the endless miles of open
spaces, I can only imagine this to be a Dxers wonderland with the
possibility of endless Beverage antennae in any direction, but be aware,
there are still many places where minefields exist from the 1982
Argentinian-UK conflict.  I suspect that the amount of RF noise is
minimal, owing to the very little infrastructure, no industry, and few
power lines seen.  An interesting statistic is that up to 50% of the
islands power is provided by wind energy.  We did see several large
windmills:...."

Bei den Bildern in der *.doc ein wenig Sachsen-Anhalt-Feeling:  Öde
Gegend und reichlich Wundmühlen..... ;-)

Ansonsten scheint es noch eingebettete mp3-Objekte zu geben, von denen
bei mir aber nur die erste lief:
"C__DOCUME~1_Walter_Desktop_MP3FIL~1_FALKLA~3[1].MP3"    (442 kb)
====>         FIRS-Nachrichten-Mitschnitt        News2014 und
Nachrichten von 1914 als "Experiment"
"...Deutsches Geschwader von Graf von Spee vor der chilenischen Küste......"

Anfang Dezember wird sich der 100-Jahre Rückblich von FIRS wohl auch
damit befassen:
http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seegefecht_bei_den_Falklandinseln

http://www.firs.co.fk/
http://s1.viastreaming.net:8645/
http://s1.viastreaming.net:8645/listen.pls

https://www.facebook.com/www.firs.co.fk/photos_stream?ref=page_internal
https://www.facebook.com/www.firs.co.fk
".....We are trying out something in the run up to this year's 100th
anniversary Battle Day. The bulletin after BFBS News Plus finishes at
8.10 will not be News Direct but News 1914 - how we might have reported
on the news of the time at the time ..."

"...Reaction to the News 1914 series that started as an experiment at
the beginning of this week seems to have been favourable (thank you!),
so it will be continuing until the end of the 1914 events in
mid-December ... and, by that time, I might finally have got the hang of
doing a BBC accent!

roger