[A-DX] Shortwave Radiogram, 30-31 December 2017

Roger
Do Jan 4 00:57:28 CET 2018

Am 29.12.2017 um 16:43 schrieb Shortwave Radiogram:
> Jeff White at WRMI has kindly offered us Monday at 0800-0830 UTC on
> 7730 kHz and (for this weekend at least) 5850 kHz. This Monday is a
> holiday, but when Monday reverts to being a work day, North Americans
> might want to consider using Audacity’s timer record. Or just leave
> Fldigi running all night, then read the text and look at the images in
> the morning.
>
> Please also note that The Mighty KBC is changing frequency this
> weekend to 6150 kHz for its North America broadcast, UTC Sunday at
> 0000-0200 UTC. The new frequency replaces 5960 kHz.

Last weekend, for the first time, I used the IQ option on a KIWI SDR. So
it was time for a stereo recording, via shortwave, to capture the IQ audio.
It is similar to a (true) IF recording in HDSDR. Here is an IQ recording
made with 12 kHz sampling, two-track, the maximum AF bandwidth is thus 6
kHz.
The benefit of this kind of audio recording is that you can load it into
an SDR program, and then do a demodulation, only than.
So you can still later use all the possibilities of AM, S-AM, LSB or
USB, further narrow the bandwidth, put separate notches in the sidebands
etc.
Not all KIWI SDRs have this option, but more and more. Here's a
screenshot of what it looks like on an "IQ-Kiwi":

http://www.rhci-online.net/radiogram/SW_Radiogram_2017-12-30.htm#KBC

roger