[A-DX] Fwd: [mwdx] WH2XDE digital tests imminent circa 1750 kHz

Name gelöscht
Fr Okt 17 16:53:20 CEST 2014

kam vom MWDX, für  die  ganz feinen Ohren

** U S A. Experimental station WH2XDE will start testing next week
(October 13). Tests will be in digital audio modes which will be
announced before each transmission in AM with descriptions of the
particular mode and how to demodulate it. Private monitor points have
been set up but SWL and Amateur reports are welcome [wh2xde @
gmail.com]. The first few days may involve only carrier and CW ID’s
however to allow for transmitter/antenna adjustment.

Start Time: 0000 UT (later times may be added if needed due to
propagation)
Duration: 2 hours approx.
Frequency: 1750 kHz
Power level: 1 kW (AM carrier); Digital 1-5 kW
Transmitter Location: New York (WH2XDE-1)
Antenna: Loaded vertical (less than 1/4wave) or a full wave horizontal
loop
Transmitter: Armstrong X1000B
(Jerry Whitney, Kestrel Electronic Design, Oct 9, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

Jerry, Tnx for the info. Please keep me informed about further
developments. I assume reports may be sent to this e-mail address? Is
there a postal address? Is there a website for more info? 73, (Glenn
Hauser, to Jerry via DXLD)

Glenn, Thanks for your interest. Yes, reports can be sent to this
email address. The postal address is: Jerry Whitney, WH2XDE, 2083
Stirnie Rd., Victor NY 14564.

I will mail (USPS) out a QSL card to anyone who requests one (no SASE
needed). The QSL shows a picture of the rather large 1 wavelength
horizontal loop and ATU. No website, I can email site pictures etc. to
anyone who is interested however.

The digital voice modes currently are a work in progress. Very
disappointing! Static crashes, selective fading and the transmitter
requirements are frustrating. (10db of headroom is needed on the
transmitter for peak power output; a 500 watt transmitter needs 5 kW
peak to properly modulate!) The solution may be in the receiver. The
primary digital mode will likely be DRM with the new low latency
compression scheme. I will operate some of the ham modes (FreeDV)
also.

If there is enough response from listening stations I will probably
setup a website with transmission schedules, pictures etc. I'll keep
you updated. Try Wednesday 10/15 at 0000 UT and beyond. It should be
fully operational then.

I forgot to ask you if you had any thoughts on the frequency of
operation. The plan was to use 1750 kHz but the license allows 1720-
1800. The band segment in this part of the US is quiet with only a few
very weak 9 kHz spaced stations from Europe when propagation is
exceptional. Thanks 73 (Jerry Whitney, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

Jerry, I checked the 1711-1800 range a few times last night, and hear
nothing but some weak carriers, maybe out of local devices. 1750
itself seems quite clear. Are you referring to AM broadcasters from
Europe? Must be pirates, but most of them are below 1700, as licensed
broadcasting there still stops at 1602, and I would not expect them to
stick to 9-kHz spacing.

What kind of programming will there be? What is your ultimate
objective after these tests? (Glenn to Jerry, via DXLD)

Glenn, Thanks for your input. I'll stick to 1750 for now. I ran some antenna tests this weekend and wasn't happy with the antenna bandwidth so more work will be needed. This will delay the startup for perhaps a week. I will email you when it`s ready.

Not much thought on programming yet, still some technical details to work on. I suppose I could transmit "World of Radio" on AM if I had permission!

As you likely know, there are some clever new "digital data" methods developed in the last few years by some of the telecom companies or their licensed partners. These digital data streams are very impressive but require a robust connection. I'm working on several of the licensed data systems and trying to "adapt" them to medium wave broadcast. I'm most interested in what happens after the transmitter. The digital magic is done by people much smarter than I. 73 (Jerry Whitney, WH2XDE, Oct 13, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

Glenn, Antenna looks good so I will start tests tonight (Wednesday at 2345 UT) carrier and MCW at 1000 watts. Frequency between 1730 and 1760. 73 (Jerry Whitney, Oct 15, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

Googled the calls to see if it's real (yes) and look at these pages on the below link. A couple of entries in the lower bands through SW for other mostly digital noise experiments, too:
http://www.fcc.gov/document/experimental-grants-4114-43014
(Terry L Krueger, FL, DX LISTENING DIGEST) i.e. on third page of four:

KESTREL ELECTRONIC DESIGN LLC
0167-EX-PL-2014
WH2XDE

New experimental to operate in 1.72-1.8 MHz for testing the next generation of digital audio transmission over radio
Fixed: Victor (Ontario), NY; Penn Yan (Yates), NY (via DXLD)

<*> Your email settings:
     Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: