[A-DX] VOA Radiogram, 1-2 November 2014: 8PSK encore

Roger
Fr Okt 31 11:39:30 CET 2014

Am 31.10.2014 um 00:22 schrieb VOA Radiogram:

> [VOA_Radiogram_logo_blue_black_209x19.PNG]
>

> Hello friends,
> Last week's surprise mode was 8PSK-125. The 8PSK modes were added to
> Fldigi as of version 3.22.00.
> Most of you were unable to decode the 8PSK-125 transmission. I think
> this is because I used Fldigi 3.22.00 to produce the 8PSK-125 segment,
> and most of you installed Fldigi 3.22.01. There was a change to the
> 8PSK encoding scheme with version 3.22.01.
>
> This weekend, I will try another transmission in 8PSK-125, this time
> produced using Fldigi 3.22.01. If you do not already have Fldigi
> 3.22.01 installed, please download it from
> http://www.w1hkj.com/download.html.
>
> You will notice that 8PSK-125 is fast: 316 words per minute, versus
> 120 wpm for our usual MFSK32 mode. Despite its speed, it does have
> some forward error correction (FEC), so it might be able to withstand
> some of the degradations of shortwave propagation.

http://www.rhci-online.de/VoA_Radiogram_2014-10-25.htm#8PSK-125

After this information I tried again and had great success.
Where was my problem:
The old version of  Fldigi 3.22.00 I used on a old XP-machine,  the new
version Fldigi 3.22.01 on a new W7-computer.

Hmmm, wrong combination ...

Well - with FLDIGI and 8PSK there are on a Pentium-IV significant
performance problems, so it was not working with the correct version.
With the compatible (old) version of the program all the letters came in
a fantastic speed on the screen by using a W7-i5-laptop.

I now correct my original opinion:
  8PSK has "transatlantic potential" and this at a fantastic speed.
  Only disadvantage: The Pentium-IV for 8PSK is out of the race ....

roger