[A-DX] VOA Radiogram, 24-25 January 2015 <=== ("halo"= intermod 2nd order with 360 Hz hum)

Roger
Fr Okt 28 13:04:11 CEST 2016

Am 23.01.2015 um 05:52 schrieb VOA Radiogram:

> Hello friends,
>
> Many of you have had problems with the Fldigi RxID. It correctly
> identifies the MFSK32 mode, but sets the audio frequency to somewhere
> between 1100 and 1200 Hz rather than the actual 1500 Hz center frequency.
>
> I've noticed this phenomenon for over a year, but it might be more
> prevalent in newer versions of Fldigi.
>
> If you are receiving a strong signal from the North Carolina
> transmitter, there is often a "halo" above and below the 500-Hz-wide
> trace of the MFSK32 signal. You can see this in a screenshot sent by
> Jonathan in Ontario ...
>
> http://voaradiogram.net/post/108921423812/voa-radiogram-24-25-january-2015-will-include-a
>
> I think the Fldigi RxID latches on to the first thing it encounters
> that looks like an RSID, which would be the halo to the left (lower in
> frequency) of the actual MFSK32 signal. That halo is enough to
> activate the RxID, but not enough to receive actual text.

==========================================================================================================================================

Roger:

====>

https://www.dropbox.com/s/v2b2njk7bzrxslo/2016-10-22_VOA%205745-120Hz-360Hz-intermod.png?dl=0

I think this collage explains the corresponding phenomenon well. The
origin is a dirty voltage conditioning due to poor signal processing
filtering. (aging of defective filter capacitors)
The strongest humming signal of 360 Hz produces a second-order
intermodulation of +/- 360 Hz regarding the corresponding AF frequency.
This means that all digital signals less than 360 Hz bandwidth are
decoded well, like the "ghost RSIDs".  MFSK32 is however too wide, there
are destructive overlaps.  MFSK16 with  316 Hz BW would work, despite 18
dB under original signal.

Thanks to Georg, who gave me similar thoughts.

roger