[A-DX] NRK

Eike Bierwirth
Sa Mai 25 19:07:51 CEST 2013

Gut wenn man nicht allen alten Krempel von der Festplatte löscht...
Media Network berichtete am 5.Dez.1991 darüber - es war einfach nur zum
Spaß an der Freude!

73,
Eike

From:  (BILL KELSEY)
Newsgroups: rec.radio.shortwave
Subject: Radio Netherlands' MEDIA NETWORK (5 Dec 1991)
Date: 5 Dec 91 23:54:24 GMT
                         RADIO NEDERLAND WERELDOMROEP
                       [Radio Netherlands International]
                                 MEDIA NETWORK

                           Thursday, 5 December 1991

[...]

- NORWAY:  Media Network reporter Jans Ehrfort (?) of Norway, reports
that RADIO NORWAY INTERNATIONAL will conduct a one-time MW transmission
on Friday, 20 Dec.  For 3 hours, they will interrupt the normal domestic
programming and feed all MW and LW transmissions with a special program:

   2000-2030 UTC: Radio Norway's first ever programming in German
   2030-2100 UTC: programming in Norwegian
   2100-2300 UTC: progamming in English

   Asked why 20 Dec. was chosen, SVERRE FREDHEIM, Head of External
Broadcasting, said "No special reason, but we thought it was just before
Christmas, and we'd like ... to give our listeners kind of a small
Christmas present, which means that we will be on the air for the first
time ever in German."

Frequencies to try:  1314 [best]; 218; 153; 702; 1485

   According to Fredheim, Radio Norway has MW transmitters as far north
as Vadso [Vads/o], near the Russian border, although the main
transmitter for Europe is in Kvitsoy [Kvits/oy]  That transmitter is
1200kW, on 1314kHz.
They've had reception reports on that transmitter from all over the
world, although it's targetted to Europe (as far south as the Alps).
While MW has lost favor in much of Europe (due to FM coverage), Norway's
scattered population and geography makes MW more important.  It takes
about 2,000 FM transmitters to provide coverage to Norway, and Radio
Norway is hoping to show MW is a real alternative to reach Scandanavia
and Europe.

   Fred Schneider of the US NAB said that analog and MW broadcasting
will be important for at least the next decade; it will be at least 10
years before digital audio broadcasting becomes widespread, and then
there will be a long transition period before people have DAB receivers.