[A-DX] Re: Aerial Terror [war: ISR:Piratensender stoeren Flugverkehr]

  • Subject: [A-DX] Re: Aerial Terror [war: ISR:Piratensender stoeren Flugverkehr]
  • From: Thomas Kamp <df5jl@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2007 09:39:23 +0200

...back to the roots - die Jungs und Mädels von der IDF (Israel Defence Forces) haben eine neue Aktion gestartet, gegen den "Air(ial) Terror". Nachzulesen in der JERUSALEM POST vom 22 Juli 2007 [1]. Dem vorausgegangen waren massive Störungen am Ben Gurion Airport im Juni. An einem einzigen Tag mussten 12 Flüge gecancelled werden. Der die Störungen verursachende Sender befand sich in Ramallah (Westbank), wie ISRAEL TODAY am 8. Juni meldet [2]. Von weiteren hunderten palästinensischen und israelischen Piratenstationen in Judea und Samaria ist dort die Rede. - Die Geschichte schaffte es sogar bis in die BBC News Middle East [3].

Tom DF5JL

[1] JERUSALEM POST JUL 22, 2007

Transportation Minister Shaul Mofaz announced Sunday afternoon that a team he leads had consolidated a plan to wipe out the infrastructure of what he called "aerial terror."

But unlike his previous, and possibly better known decision to take on a terror infrastructure in 2002's Operation Defensive Shield, this time, many of the suspects are located in areas such as Bnei Brak and Netanya.

Pirate radio stations, broadcasting from the center of the country as well as from the West Bank, are the focus of Mofaz's newest operation, after a final weekend meeting succeeded in drawing up the plans of battle against the phenomenon.

"The danger is at the door. Only last week we saw the terrifying results of an aeronautic disaster, like the one which happened in Brazil, and the threat of an air disaster in Israel as a result of pirate radio broadcasts is no less alarming. This is an emergency situation and thus we must operate in emergency conditions and not waste resources," said the former chief-of-staff following the weekend meeting of the Interministerial Committee for Addressing the Phenomenon of Pirate Radio Stations.

During that meeting, Israel Police Investigations and Intelligence Division chief Cmdr. Yochanan Danino, head of the airline safety committee Maj.-Gen. (res.) Amos Lapidot, and the director-general of the Airports Authority, Gabi Ofir, together with representatives of the Transportation and Justice ministries met to put the final touches on their plan to wipe out pirate radio infrastructures.

At the meeting, Mofaz described the stations as "air terror" and insisted they thus must receive due attention. Whereas prior to the committee's establishment, the phenomenon was confronted on a local level, all of the relevant authorities will now be coordinated on a national level in hopes of significantly reducing the phenomenon. In addition, the committee recommended tightening the current laws to increase what they described as the "very light" punishment currently on the books for offenders.

The team's new plan is now based upon tracking down the criminals involved with pirate radio, including funders, advertisers, broadcasters, managers and any other at various levels of involvement - much akin to the IDF's strategy in breaking the backs of terror groups in 2002.

The team said that they hoped to bring the offenders to justice and to the maximum sentences possible by law. Additionally, the committee recommended launching a public effort to explain and to raise awareness as to the severity of the phenomenon and to publicize the punishments awaiting would-be offenders.

According to the plan, the number of devices allowing inspectors to locate broadcasts from the ground as well as from the air will be doubled, with assistance from the IDF and other security organizations.

Mofaz instructed police to act widely, deeply and quickly to build serious indictments against offenders, However, he also warned that the real test would be at the Justice Ministry, to see if the courts would realize the judicial potential of the sentencing.

All of these recommendations are expected to be brought for cabinet approval in the near future, although aspects of the program will already be put into effect in the coming days.

The workers committee of the Airports Authority welcomed the move by Mofaz. Committee Chairman Pinhas Idan expressed his hope that the cabinet would okay the plan as soon as possible. "Pirate radio constitutes a clear danger to human life,' he said. "I congratulate the minister on the fact that he decided to address the topic with the appropriate determination. I am hopeful that the government will approve the plan quickly so that we can put a stop to this dangerous phenomenon."

[2] ISRAEL TODAY
Headline News
Friday, June 08, 2007 by Staff Writer

Palestinian pirate radio disrupts Israeli air traffic

A pirate radio station in the de facto Palestinian capital of Ramallah is believed to be behind repeated disruptions of air traffic communications at Israel's Ben Gurion International Airport.

The interference resulted in 12 cancelled flights on Wednesday.

Israeli Communications Minister Ariel Attias said that the Ramallah radio station ceased broadcasting after the source of the disruptions was discovered.

Hundreds of pirate radio stations belonging to both Palestinians and Israelis operated out of Judea and Samaria.

[3] BBC MIDDLE EAST
Last Updated: Thursday, 7 June 2007, 23:41 GMT 00:41 UK
Pirate radio stops Israel flights
Several flights being cancelled and many others being delayed

Israel has shut down a Palestinian pirate radio station in the West Bank that had been disrupting communications at Ben Gurion International Airport.

The broadcasts led to several flights being cancelled and many others being delayed over the past two days.

Communications Minister Ariel Attias said he was taking steps to eradicate the phenomenon of the pirate stations.

Staff at the airport near Tel Aviv had threatened to strike on Thursday if the radio interference continued.

A spokesman for the Israeli Airports Authority, Uri Orlev, said his colleagues had instead decided to stop working whenever there were further disruptions.

'Clear danger'

Mr Orlev said the interference represented a "clear danger", with pilots reportedly hearing music on their radios instead of instructions from the control tower.

"These disruptions do not allow us to run the airport as we should," he told Israeli Channel 2 TV on Wednesday evening.

The disruption continued on Thursday, with the airport control tower forced to allow 10 minutes between each take-off as a safety precaution.

After announcing it had closed down the pirate radio station in question, the Israeli ministry of communications said it was taking steps to eradicate illegal broadcasts altogether.

The ministry said it had already shut down 50 pirate stations since the beginning of the year.

Transport Minister Shual Mofaz said he would call for an urgent cabinet meeting on Sunday to discuss pirate radio transmissions and demand that criminal proceedings be brought against the perpetrators.