[A-DX] VOA Radiogram slow modes to Australia

Roger
So Jan 31 14:38:43 CET 2016

ok, once again with the correct system date and time........

===================================================================================================================

"...Given the reception conditions, voice would probably be
unintelligible, and the faster MFSK32 generally failed. "

I disagree.
With proper demodulation MFSK-32 (16-FSK !!) is better than MFSK-8
(32-FSK !!)
I have checked this with an audio recording of Mark Hirst (2E0ECN), also
from a weak 5865 kHz.
The s/n  of MFSK-32 was always 4-5 db better than that of MFSK-8 kHz,
here there were also errors.

But why was MFSK8 better than MFSK32 in the "incorrect" Australia-audio
recording ??
MFSK8 has a narrower bandwidth.
When there is an invalid DSB-demodulation with 110 Hz frequency shift,
there are fewer false overlap.
MFSK-32 is broader - there is a much greater destructive overlap during
false demodulation - this is the explanation.
In the even broader Olivia-64-2000, the tones are more concisely placed.
The method for error protection is still much more effective.

The filligrane MFSK8 with its 32 *narrow* tones can never be as robust
as an MFSK-32 with its 16 wider tones - that's my opinion.

http://www.rhci-online.net/radiogram/VoA_Radiogram_2016-01-30.htm#mfsk

roger