[A-DX] MWARA Brisbane Radio

TLindenthal at t-online.de
Sa Feb 10 11:06:36 CET 2018

Hallo,
auf meinen Empfangsbericht zur Frequenz 8867 kHz kam Folgende Antwort von
Frau Donaldson
()

" Hello Name gelöscht,

Thank you for your email. We are always pleased to hear from enthusiastic
people listening to us, especially on the other side of the world. That
transmission that you sent was very clear, and yes, definitely us.
We work for Airservices Australia, with our HF unit based in Brisbane,
Queensland, providing communications relay between aircraft and Air Traffic
Controllers out over the oceans. The Australian ATC covers 6% of the worlds
airspace and a large part of that is oceanic.
The particular frequency you heard, 8867, is part of our South Pacific
network. We share this network with Nadi (in Fiji), Auckland (in New
Zealand), Tahiti (in Tahiti), and San Francisco (in USA). So as you can
appreciate it’s a fairly crowded radio sometimes. The other frequencies in
that network are 3467, 5643, 13261, and 17904. We tend to use 8867 and
13261 the most here in Brisbane. The equipment is housed in two locations
for that network, Broken Hill in New South Wales, and Townsville in
Queensland. The transmissions are sent to us via cable and our responses go
out the same way.
We also have two other international groups of units. One covers the Indian
ocean out towards South Africa, and the other covers the area towards South
East Asia and north of Australia. We have groups of frequencies that look
after our domestic airspace as well. Australia being such a widespread
country, it’s impossible to have VHF coverage everywhere, so we have HF
units to cover mostly arrival and taxi calls in remote areas. These are
then relayed to the ATC responsible for that aerodrome.
Unfortunately we don’t have QSL cards anymore, but if there’s any other
information that we might be able to help with, please email us.

Kind regards

Anne-Marie Donaldson
Shift Manager HF
Brisbane, Australia "