[A-DX] Re: radio in Dubai (war Autoradio mit KW?)

  • Subject: [A-DX] Re: radio in Dubai (war Autoradio mit KW?)
  • From: "Wolfgang Bueschel_web" <BueschelW@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 7 Jun 2004 01:58:53 +0200

---- Original Message -----
From: "Harald Kuhl" Sent: Friday, May 28, 2004 8:43 PM
Subject: Re: [A-DX] radio in Dubai (war Autoradio mit KW?)

Subject:  Sony XR-C5100 Info

Nochmal einige Infos aus den vergangenen Jahren. 73 wb

# # # #

It is reviewed as a SW radio by RN Mark.
http://www.rnw.nl/realradio/html/xr-c5100.html. I have the XR-CA620X which
*is* definitely SW, and which I am very fond of. It is available from Durham
Radio/The Shortwave store, locally in Whitby (near Toronto),
http://www.shortwavestore.com/sony-shortwave-receivers.html and I believe
Keith has a North American exclusive on it. Jack's of Dubai is the other
international source of SW Sony car radios.
Tony (VE3NO) ComputerViz;  NYAA StarFest on-line

tonyward@xxxxxxxxxx
http://www.nyaa-starfest.com

>>From December 2002:

NEW CAR SW RADIO; and a very inexpensive one

Two recent SW radio models of note: First, Jackys.com in Dubai is
listing a new MW/FM/SW model, the Sony XRCA440X, see

http://www.jackys.com/product/default_DET.asp?cat_id=35&cat_name=Car%20Audio

The price is about $110 plus the usual $50 or so air freight. Jacky's
page has only limited info/specs/user reviews at this time on
this new unit but it seems to cover the same bandwidths with the same
features as other recent Sony car SW's. However the big
difference is a radically redesigned futuristic faceplate on the unit.
There is a close up view of the unit on a UK page
http://www.caraudiodiscount.com/acatalog/large/sony2002/xrc-ca430x_l.jpg
(Tom Roche, DX LISTENING DIGEST, Atlanta, Georgia, Dec 2, 2002)

- - -

SONY AutoRadio AutoCar, selled at Dubai Airport,
ex Sony XR c-5100 model.

Here's links to the 3 units they offer presently:

Sony XRC5600X $145.80
http://www.jackys.com/product/product.asp?prod_id=823&cat_name=Car+Audio

Sony XR4900 $115.02
http://www.jackys.com/product/product.asp?prod_id=183&cat_name=Car+Audio

Sony XRS888 $114.75 On Sale
http://www.jackys.com/product/product.asp?prod_id=823&cat_name=Car+Audio

Perhaps there are other sites you can find out there too by doing searches
on the model numbers. And check your local 220v shops too. Write me if I can
provide any other info at RastaI@xxxxxxxx
(Tom Roche, Atlanta, Feb 24, 2001, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

RECENT SONY CAR SHORTWAVE MODELS

Glenn, Your readers may be interested that I've recently noticed a few new
Sony car MW/FM/SW radios available the Mexican version of the Sony Style
webpage, see

http://www.sonystyle.com.mx/site/productos/categories/mx0601.jhtml;jsessioni
d=OEPHJGEYCJFHDQFIFA0CFEWAVAUDIIV0

and choose "Cassette." There is also a small variety of CD Changer Car
Radios and MiniDisc Car Radios, but for whatever reason Sony
only carries the SW option on the cassette players.

There are 3 models offered, the XR-4950X, the XR-C5500, and the XR-
CA620X. See (respectively) at

http://www.sonystyle.com.mx/site/productos/product.jhtml?producto_id=mxXR-49
50X
http://www.sonystyle.com.mx/site/productos/product.jhtml?producto_id=mxXR-C5
500
http://www.sonystyle.com.mx/site/productos/product.jhtml?producto_id=mxXR-CA
620X

The pages and specs are in Sp of course, but if you load the links into
http://babelfish.altavista.com/ and select "Spanish To English" you'll get
an approximate translation.

I have no idea how one would obtain any of these from Sony Mexico without
taking a trip south of the border. I mention these pages only as a guide to
those who might stumble upon on these models on an international trip, or,
if you are lucky, in a 220v shop in an urban area of the US.

You will recall I wrote a review of my Sony Car Stereo (the XRC 5200 now
discontinued) for DXLD one year ago this month, and I can report it is still
works flawlessly and I'm happy I sprung the $$ for it. Just last month I
took a long drive to the next state with a friend who also owns a car SW,
and he remarked that even if one were to buy an XFM car satellite receiver,
and pay their fees, you still would not have the numerous religious
progrming options you find on SW. At this point I stopped and made him walk
some of the way.

Anyway, one of the models offered in Mexico (the XR-CA620X) is the same one
that is offered at Jacky's website in Dubai UAE where I purchased mine, and
the price has dropped about $50 to only $129, see

http://www.jackys.com/product/product.asp?prod_id=1583&qcatname=Car+Audio&qc
atid=35

All these Sony units are to universal size and power specifications and can
be installed just like any US unit. Jacky's will tack on another $50 for air
freight, but at least the parcel will be traceable the whole journey and you
get it in just 3 days

User reviews for the unit at

http://www.jackys.com/review/cust_feedback.asp?prod_id=1583

are mostly good, but it seems like some car makes however have far noisier
ignition systems then others. Mine, a Toyota, hardly interferes with SW
listening at all, as does a person with a Mazda who posted a review. The
only sour review comes from someone who put the unit in his Mercedes, and he
can barely pick up a thing unless he goes to a singles bar.
(Tom Roche, Atlanta, DX LISTENING DIGEST, 8. Feb.2002)