Re: [A-DX] indische Radios

  • Subject: Re: [A-DX] indische Radios
  • From: Juergen Fenn <juergen.fenn@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2007 19:55:33 +0200

Juergen Fenn <juergen.fenn@xxxxxx> writes:

> "Harald Kuhl" <HKu-DX@xxxxxx> writes:
>
>> Würde mich mal interessieren, wie ernst AIR fürs Inland an DRM denkt
>> oder ob dies wieder nur ein PR-Getümmel im allgemeinen Digitalwahn
>> ist.
>
> In einem der letzten DXLDs war ein längerer Beitrag zu dem Thema,

So, ich habe den Text nun doch gefunden, im DXLD 7-063, May 29,
2007. Ich zitiere ihn unten, darin u.a. das Zitat:

  "Although 38 countries in the world has used digital mode for
  external transmission, India would be the first country to use the
  technology for national transmission"

Jürgen.

--------------------

** INDIA. AIR TO TURN DIGITAL FOR WORLD AUDIENCE [DRM]

Listening to old melodies of KL Sehgal or latest tunes from Himmesh
Reshammiya would now be possible in far west United States or on the
interior of Indo-China border. In a quality better than FM radio. It
will all happen with All India Radio (AIR) planning to go digital. "We
have started a pilot project to provide digital signals to radio
audience in the country. The quality would be as clear as playing
music at your home," said Brajeshwar Singh, Director-General AIR.

The digital service will be available through internet via webcasting
and as radio signal till a distance of 20,000 kilometres in a crystal
clear sound. But the biggest stumbling block for the masses to listen
to fine quality radio transmission is the high cost digital radio
sets. Each set costs about Rs 12,000. But, Singh expects the price to
go down once the use of radio digital signal improves.

Till, the technology becomes popular the AIR will provide the signal
in both analog and digital mode. This will mean that there will be a
signal for conventional radio sets along with one for digital radio
sets. Once the transition from analog to digital is complete, the
analog signal will not be available. "It will take seven to eight
years," Singh said.

AIR on Thursday conducted a presentation for Information and
Broadcasting ministry secretary A Swarup on digital phase of AIR. The
pilot project started from a transmission station near Delhi
University is first of its kind in the country.

"Although 38 countries in the world has used digital mode for external
transmission, India would be the first country to use the technology
for national transmission," AS Guin, Engineer-in- Chief of AIR. The
cost of converting entire AIR network on digital is high but the
government expects to get approval of Planning Commission for this
futuristic project soon.

Under the pilot project, Delhi radio station is available on digital
mode as well as analog mode. "We have divided the bandwidth into two
channels. One part is digital and other is analog. People who want to
listen to better quality sound can opt for the digital  signal" an AIR
official said (from http://www.hindustantimes.com/ via Mukesh Kumar,
The Cosmos Club, Muzaffarpur, INDIA, and also via Jaisakthivel,
Chennai-600106, India, DXLD)