Re: [A-DX] a True Silabs Chip radio from German importer?

  • Subject: Re: [A-DX] a True Silabs Chip radio from German importer?
  • From: Christof Proft <christof.proft@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 10 Jun 2011 13:28:14 +0200

Hello Marc,

Am 10.06.2011 00:49, schrieb Marc Coevoet:

http://home.comcast.net/~phils_radio_designs/Si4734_Hardware.pdf

The chip was used in an Elektor radio project last summer.

While the Tecsun suffer from poor LW implementation, here the LW works
great: I live near the Coast/Dunkirk, and on 234 I have the strong RTL,
while I can still receive 225 Radio Poland. Going up to 227 is still
Poland, and further 229 is 50/50 Poland/RTL. So, the filter works great.

The SiLabs 4734 chips are all working in same way with similar performance. The extarnal circuitery is not much, you can only in- oder decrease the receiver's performance by the antenna matching / antenna circuit.

The German importer did a good job,
http://www.e2service.de/bda/JGC/jgc-ur-210.pdf

Unfortunately, I can only say the shop is close to "Place Rouppe" in
Brussels... But the radio will be sold elsewhere (on internet?)

This radio was sold by a German discounter in March.

I dare to say I payed 109 euros, although it might have been 15, 39 or
just plain 20.

The discounter sold it for 14,99 Euros.
http://www.discounter-archiv.de/de/archiv/PENNY/2011-03-24/JGC-Kofferradio-UR-210/727389

Normally, true SiLabs radios are about 30-50 Euros when own-imported from HongKong, and about 70-110 Euros from German suppliers, with CE.

But something strange: All SiLabs radio I've seen have dbuV and S/NR digits in the display. These are missing in this particular radio, even not mentioned in the manual. Bandwidth control, a basic function of the 4734/35, is also missing. Are you sure, that really a SiLabs chip is implemented? I'm sorry to say, but it seems you have been ripped off. What kind of shop you were in Brussels?

vy73

chris